Friday, January 22, 2010

Health Kits for Haiti

As I have mentioned in the last couple of posts, the tragedy in Haiti has affected me deeply. It has affected everyone deeply. It’s been hard to watch the devastation in Haiti and not be moved to tears. We all want to do something to help, but feel helpless. I have prayed, donated…but it just doesn’t feel like it’s enough. But we CAN HELP!

Lutheran World Relief is an organization that I trust. They have been responding to disasters around the world for over 65 years. You can learn more about LWR at http://www.lwr.org/. They are always in need of health kits to send to people around the world who need them but now with the situation in Haiti the need is even greater. They have already sent hundreds of kits to Haiti but need more.

I read this blog post from LWR President John Nunes that inspired me to take immediate action: “Our stock of health kits is critically low. With so many homeless and in need, for every health kit we give, there are many more families who need one. Please consider donating health kits to LWR so that we can continue to meet needs in Haiti and around the world.”

I am asking friends and family to make health kits and drop them off at our house next week, and I am hoping for a big response! (I will take pics and be blogging a thank you to all my friends and family who donate next week.) But if YOU would like to help you can also make health kits and send them to LWR. Follow the links above for more instructions! It's SO easy. It's a small thing that we can do for people who have lost everything.


Health Kits for Haiti: Lutheran World Relief
One hand towel, dark color recommended
One washcloth, dark color recommended
One bath-size bar (4 to 5 oz.) of soap, any brand, in its original wrapping
One adult-size toothbrush in its original packaging
One sturdy comb, remove packaging
One metal nail file or nail clippers with file attached, remove packaging (do not substitute cardboard emery boards for the file)
Six Band-Aids® (or similar brand), preferably 1/2" to 3/4"; secure together with a rubber band


3 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I am going to get on the ball and post on my blog about this as well as getting some kits ready to send out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our church frequently collects completed kits or individual "ingredients". They're a great way to contribute to the very basic needs around the world.

    I hope your health kit drive is very successful!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ Comments. And I ♥ YOU! Thanks!